[ITNOG] Appeal of the European Network Engineers

Marco d'Itri md@Linux.IT
Ven 11 Mar 2022 23:09:48 CET

----- Forwarded message from Daniel Karrenberg via ripe-list <ripe-list@ripe.net> -----

From: Daniel Karrenberg via ripe-list <ripe-list@ripe.net>
Subject: [ripe-list] Appeal of the European Network Engineers

Keep the Internet Open
======================

Appeal of the European Network Engineers

We have worked hard to keep the Internet available in Europe and
surrounding areas during the Covid pandemic. The Internet infrastructure
is essential for the safety, security and well-being of all people
living here. Due to the growing international tensions in this part of
the world we hear calls to deliberately harm interconnections and the
functioning of the network. We realise that the Internet is being used
for purposes that many of us deplore. However this cannot be a reason to
harm the infrastructure itself and prevent the good and often essential
things that depend on it. We urge everyone to consider this carefully
and not only refrain from harming the operation and interconnection but
to actively work to keep the Internet running and maintain
interconnections with all parts of our region.

In particular we call on all governments and everyone involved with the
governance of the Internet to do everything they can to enable us to
keep the Internet infrastructure operational throughout the RIPE region.
We will do our part as well as we can.

    <Signatures>

The purpose of this appeal is to influence everyone considering actions
that would make it harder for us to keep the Internet running. In
particular it is intended to provide guidance and support to Internet
governance bodies like the RIPE NCC. It will only work if many
individuals sign up to it publicly. Individuals considered close to the
current conflicts will have special weight here!

You can sign this appeal by mailing a signature line of the form

    Name, Place, Countrycode

to <sign@keepitopen.net>.

Please add a very short statement why you consider yourself a network
engineer. Choose the place that best describes who you are; you do not
have to be there right now. We will only publish the signature line and
nothing else. We will delete your e-mail messages as soon as they are
processed.

Signatures will start to be published when we have collected at least
256 originating from throughout the region. We will start publicising
this appeal once we have at least 1024 signatures.

[Please spread the word.](https://keepitopen.net)

Thank you for your support!

Daniel Karrenberg, Roermond, NL